Thursday, September 25, 2014

Brief Thoughts- SUBSPECIES (1991)


I decided to rewatch SUBSPECIES the other night out of curiosity. I first saw it over 15 years ago and my memories were that it was nothing special which would account for me having never watched any of the sequels. 


My return visit ended up reaffirming my initial impression of the film being OK - nothing too terrible and nothing too great. It's a middle of the road relic of the great direct-to-video period of the late 1980's and early 1990's. The film has some good location shooting, a pretty good idea, a C grade script and some C- level acting from most of the cast. The worst element of the movie is easily the D grade stop-motion animated little demons that the villain Radu creates in a nonsensical fashion at the beginning of the film. The animation is terrible, the creatures are poorly added to the live action shots and the fact that no one ever speaks about them EVER makes me think the filmmakers were hedging their bets and leaving open the possibility that they would be dropped from the movie entirely. If they had been eliminated I might like the film a bit more than I do but I doubt it would rate higher than a 5 out of 10 no matter what. 

I've been informed that the sequel is considered slightly better so I might have to see that sooner rather than later. 


No comments: