Monday, October 24, 2011

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow radio play


One of my favorite scary stories of all time is Washington Irving’s classic tale ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’. Most years I’m content to watch the wonderful, funny Disney animated version of the tale narrated by Bing Crosby for my annual fix but this October I had an itch to dig deeper. I re-read the story for the first time since grade school and then went in search of old radio adaptations to see how it had been converted to the format by different producers. By far my choice for best radio rendering is this show from Favorite Stories hosted by Ronald Coleman. Broadcast in 1946 it stands up today as one of the best re-tellings I’ve run across yet. Get a cup of hot cider, turn the lights down low and take a listen to this entertaining tale of the Headless Horseman. You can download the MP3 at this LINK or just listen to it through the player embedded below.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks dude! great digging!