Friday, October 15, 2010

ALIEN 2 coming to Blu-Ray?


I would not be surprised if you read the above title for this post and said to yourself "What the Hell is ALIEN 2? Is he talking about ALIENS?" To which I would have to say 'No! I'm talking about ALIEN 2 also known as ALIEN ON EARTH directed by Ciro Ippolito and released in 1980. That's right! Its an Italian produced ALIEN rip-off that got made and pushed into theaters less than a year after Ridley Scott's movie premiered. You just gotta love the Italians! I've had a bootleg of this film for more than 10 years and I love it. Its just as low budget and sloppily made as you would expect but it has ..... something. I've never been able to put my finger on exactly why I like it but I've watched this sucker about 5 or 6 times and enjoyed it every time. It's got some strange appeal for me and I guess I must not be the only one. A new video company called Midnight Legacy have announced as their first disc the release of this film on Blu-Ray in 2011 and they seem to be going to great lengths to do things well. They claim it will be pulled from the 35mm negative and is a longer version than has ever been seen before. I will put aside my thoughts on the wisdom of starting a new cult film DVD company in the current economic times long enough to pump my fist in the air with delight that this is happening. More power to Midnight Legacy and they can count on my pre-order just as soon as it appears online for sale.

I can only wonder what they will announce for their second release.

No comments: