Saturday, September 09, 2006

Planet of the Vampires (1965) poster art

This is easily the best poster art for the Mario Bava masterwork PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES that I have ever seen. I found this image a few months ago and was stunned that I'd never seen it before. Haunting and beautiful, this is the perfect artwork to entice folks to see this wonderfully spooky science fiction film. Or at least folks like me!

At times I think PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES is my favorite of Bava's movies. Mostly I think of DANGER:DIABOLIK as my favorite and THE MASK OF SATAN as the best but this movie really hits all my geeky buttons. Science fiction/horror/hot Italian babes/cool alien landscapes/possession/a derelit alien spacecraft with dead aliens. That's a lot of buttons! And the creepy score is great too.

I've watched the great MGM DVD of this more than 10 times over the past few years and since learning that the Italian DVD print is slightly longer I've been very tempted to buy it as well. The added bits are not supposed to be significant but.........

3 comments:

rhatfink said...

This is my favorite Bava film. It is one of those cherished childhood movie memories along with Attack of the Mushroom People or The Alligator People where the action was just too surreal to forget.

That is an awesome poster. I've had it saved to my poster file for a while now.

Sobral said...

Hi!
I have the italian disc, would you like a copy? Let me know...

Randall Landers said...

This film is truly one of the best sf movies ever and made under such a shoestring budget that it's even more brilliant today.